Sunday, March 20, 2011
Annual Brenda Novak Online Auction for Diabetes Research
I have the opportunity again this year to provide auction items for the wonderful annual charity event organized by author Brenda Novak.
The auction is offering opportunities to bid on fabulous prizes this year, including:
• One Night Stay at NYTimes Bestselling Author Nora Roberts' Inn
• A Writer's Perfect Getaway (for up to 6) at NYTimes Bestselling Author Cherry Adair's Guest House
• 3 Night Stay in NYTimes Bestselling Author Susan Wiggs' Guest House
• Fabulous Stays in Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, and Mexico
• Lots of Electronics...Kindles, Nooks, and even an iPad
• Lunches with Bestselling Authors Suzanne Brockmann, Diana Gabaldon, Karen Rose, Carla Neggers, Steve Barry and more!
Many authors (like yours truly) are offering signed books and manuscript critiques. I hope you will check out my auction items in particular because I’d like to help raise money for this great cause, and the more I can help raise, the better I’ll feel.
Why? Because this year, diabetes has become horribly personal. As I compose this blog, my sister Christina lies in the Critical Care Unit of our local hospital with double pneumonia, her breathing assisted by a ventilator. The pneumonia is a complication that occurred two days after she was transferred to a physical rehabilitation center following the amputation of her left leg, which became necessary after an ulcer on her foot became infected and seeded infection into her bloodstream.
My sister Christina is a diabetic, and I have seen the ravages of this disease through her eyes and suffered the anguish of sitting by her bedside this last week, watching a machine breathe for her and searching for hope in the faces of a hospital staff who are understandably guarded concerning the prognosis of the critical patient in their care.
I want to put on my steel-toed shoes and kick this disease in the butt. I hope you will help me. Please visit the auction site, find something among the many offered items that interests you, and BID!